Cooking is an art form, and chefs are its artists. Creating culinary masterpieces requires more than just skill; it also requires the right tools. Professional chefs know that having the proper kitchen equipment can make all the difference in the quality of food and the efficiency of cooking.
From knives to pots to thermometers, there’s a wide range of essential kitchen tools used by chefs every day.
These tools allow them to work quickly and safely while still producing exquisite dishes with impeccable presentation. In this guide, we’ll cover some of these must-have kitchen items and explain why they are so important for successful cooking. Let’s get started!
Essential Kitchen Tools Usual By Professional Chefs
As said, chefs have various kitchen tools that help them in their work. Here are some of the most common and important pieces of equipment found in professional kitchens:
A chef’s knife is a sharp, all-purpose blade used for slicing, dicing, and chopping. It can be used to cut through meat, vegetables, fruits, herbs – you name it. A good-quality chef’s knife will last for many years and make food prep easier. Look for a knife with a balanced weight and comfortable grip to make it easier to use. There are a variety of professional knives available, including:
- Santoku knives: These are smaller, lightweight knives with a curved blade that makes it easier to chop and mince.
- Cleavers: Perfect for cutting through tougher meats like steak and pork chops.
- French knives: These feature a curved blade that tapers to a sharp point and are more suited for slicing than chopping.
- Nakiri knives: This type of paring knife is specifically designed for cutting vegetables and has a flat, rectangular blade.
- Boning knives: A boning knife is designed for removing the bone from poultry, fish, and other meats. It has a thin, sharp blade that makes it easy to maneuver around bones.
Each of these types of knives comes in a variety of sizes and styles, so it’s best to visit your local kitchen store to find the one that suits your needs. Chris Lewallen, the chef de cuisine, is a great example of someone making use of the right knives in the kitchen. So investing in quality tools will make cooking much easier and more enjoyable.
Pot And Pans
The right cookware can make a huge difference in the quality of your cooked food. All chefs will tell you that having the right pot or pan can make all the difference in terms of getting the optimal cooking temperature and flavor. Pots and pans come in various shapes, sizes, materials, and styles, such as:
- Cast iron pots and pans: Cast iron is a very durable material that heats up quickly and evenly and provides great flavor to the food.
- Copper pots and pans: Copper is another popular choice for cookware as it helps with distributing heat more evenly in order to prevent hot spots and burning.
- Stainless steel pots and pans: Stainless steel is the most durable and resistant to corrosion, and it’s also the easiest to clean. Stainless steel mixing bowls are also a must-have item in any kitchen.
- Nonstick pots and pans: These are coated with a nonstick surface which allows food to be cooked without sticking to the surface or burning.
- Ceramic pots and pans: These are a good choice for such a head chef who likes slow cooking as they retain heat well and evenly while also being non-reactive.
These are just a few of the most popular types of pots and pans that chefs use, but there are many more to choose from. The usage of each type of pot and pan will depend on the type of dish you’re preparing, so it pays to invest in a good selection of cookware. With quality dishwasher-safe cookware, you can be sure that your dishes will come out tasting great every time!
Spatulas are a must-have tool for any professional kitchen, as they help chefs to cook and flip food without damaging it. Whether you’re a pastry chef creating delicate desserts or a sauté cook making dinner entrees, having the right spatula makes all the difference. Spatulas come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit different cooking tasks. Let’s discuss different types of spatulas.
- Slotted spatula: This type of spatula is mainly used to remove food from a skillet or sheet pan without breaking the food. The slots on the blade are designed to slide easily between the food and the surface.
- Flexible spatula: Also known as rubber or fish spatulas, these have flexible blades that easily bend to move delicate foods. This type of spatula is ideal for flipping eggs and pancakes without breaking them or transferring small baked items from a baking pan without damaging them.
- Offset spatula: An offset spatula has a straight blade with an angled handle that allows the user to reach hard-to-reach spots in baking nonstick pans or on the surface of cakes. It’s also great for spreading frosting and other ingredients.
- Turner spatula: This is a large, flat spatula with a wide blade that is used to scoop and flip large pieces of food, such as burgers or steaks.
To use any of these spatulas effectively, make sure to select one that has a comfortable handle and is made of high-quality material. No professional kitchen is complete without the right spatulas, so make sure you have a few of each type to help make your cooking tasks easier and more efficient.
Tongs are a must-have for any chef, as they allow you to easily and safely handle food without burning your hands or fingers. Tongs can also be used to grab spices when seasoning dishes, making them an indispensable part of any kitchen tool kit. They come in various sizes, so you can choose the one that suits you best! Tongs are also easy to store and clean, making them an ideal tool for busy chefs.
There are many types of tongs available on the market, such as:
- Locking Tongs: These are ideal for handling larger items like steaks or casseroles.
- Barbecue Tongs: These have a longer handle to keep your hands further away from the heat of hot oil. They are also more robust than other types and can be used for flipping larger items like burgers.
- Fine tip Tongs: These have smaller tips which make them ideal for handling delicate items such as fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- Fish Tongs: These are designed specifically for handling slippery fish with ease.
- Pastry Tongs: These have a curved shape to help you easily grip and turn the food.
They can help you avoid injuries while still providing plenty of control over the food you are cooking. No matter what type of tongs you choose, make sure they have a comfortable grip and are made from durable materials.
A cutting board is one of the most important tools in any professional kitchen. It’s used to prepare food and can help keep your counters clean when slicing or chopping ingredients. The most common type of cutting board is the wooden one—they’re typically made from bamboo, maple wood, or hardwood. They’re durable, easy to clean, and come in a variety of sizes, so you can find one that fits your kitchen.
Some chefs prefer plastic boards for their nonporous surface, which prevents bacteria growth, making them better for food safety. Whichever type you choose, make sure to keep your cutting board clean to prevent cross-contamination of food like a food processor. It should also be regularly replaced when it becomes too worn down or scratched.
Having a variety of cutting boards will help you stay organized and efficient in the kitchen, allowing you to prepare multiple dishes at the same time without cross-contamination. It’s also important to use separate boards for raw meats, fish, and vegetables to ensure food safety.
Whisks are essential for baking, as they help to blend ingredients together quickly and evenly. From fluffy meringues to thick cake batters, a good whisk will make light work of all your baking needs.
For creamy soups and sauces, a balloon whisk is ideal for incorporating air into the mix, while a flat or spiral whisk is better suited for sauces that need more thickness and structure. There are also various types of whisks available, so choose the right one for the job. For example:
- Balloon whisk: perfect for making meringues and light batters
- Flat or spiral whisk: better suited for sauces that need more thickness and structure
- Electric whisk: useful for quickly blending ingredients together
A professional chef will always have a whisk or two close by, as it’s the perfect tool for quickly and easily creating delicious dishes. So don’t forget to grab your whisk next time you’re in the kitchen!
Want to make potato chips, thinly-sliced apples for pies, zucchini noodles, and more? Then you need a good peeler! With its sharp blade, it’ll save you time when prepping your ingredients. Peelers come in different shapes and sizes, so you can pick one that fits your hand best. Some models even have ridged blades, so it’s easier to peel the skin off things like carrots or cucumbers. You can also get ones with a julienne blade which will make perfect matchsticks for vegetables.
No matter the peeler you choose, it’s an essential kitchen tool for any executive chef! The difference between a good meal and a great one can be in the details—and a peeler doesn’t disappoint. Most importantly, it’ll save you time when prepping ingredients so you can focus on cooking. So make sure to add a peeler to your kitchen tools arsenal!
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are many kitchen tools that every chef should have. From knives to peelers, each tool has its own purpose and is essential for creating delicious dishes. Having the right kitchen tools on hand is essential for chefs to make the most of their ingredients and take their culinary creations to the next level.
Investing in quality equipment will always pay off – not only will they last longer, but they are also sure to make a huge impact on your cooking! So be sure to stock up on all the kitchen tools you need to take your cooking to the next level!