Are Calphalon Knives Good? This is a question that many home cooks and professional chefs have asked themselves when considering which knives to add to their collection.
Talking about the kitchenware, especially knives, and forgetting to mention the Calphalon knives would definitely be a crime, if not a sin. Yes, you heard it right. It’s because the Calphalon legacy of manufacturing durable and ergonomic knives is not going to end any time soon.
Notably, Calphalon is famous for its high-end knife sets, which are popular for their durability and steadfast functionality as their knives contain anti-corrosive properties. However, there are some speculations about Calphalon knives as they are super-expensive.
These speculations slightly bewilder the buyers, taking them into the state of ‘to be or not to be.’ if you are also one of them, confused about are Calphalon knives worth the price. This article is a must-read for you since it includes an honest review of Calphalon knives, including their popular types, benefits, and exclusive features.
Let’s get right into this detailed Calphalon knives review and let yourself make an informed decision!
- 1 Calphalon | Your Culinary Game Partner
- 2 What are Calphalon Knives? Are Calphalon knives really good?
- 3 Top 3 Knife Series by Calphalon: An In-depth Review!
- 4 Pros and Cons of Calphalon Knife Sets
- 5 Are Calphalon Knives Sharp?
- 6 Why are my Calphalon knives rusting?
- 7 How to Care for Calphalon Knives
- 8 FAQs on Calphalon Knives Set
- 9 Final Verdict: Are Calphalon knives Good?
Calphalon | Your Culinary Game Partner
Calphalon is a well-known manufacturer of high-quality kitchenware, including high-end knife sets, cookware, and bakeware.
The company has been delivering quality kitchenware for effortless cooking worldwide since 1963. Following the legacy of more than seven decades, the brand is leading the industry due to its high-end kitchen accessories.
Off all, Calphalon knives have become a highly sought-after product. The company offers a wide range of knife types, including chef’s, santoku, paring, etc.
What are Calphalon Knives? Are Calphalon knives really good?
Calphalon Knives are famous for their high quality and ergonomics. These knives have sharp and tapered blades made of high-carbon stainless steel that provides corrosion resistance. Due to their detail-oriented manufacturing and use of good material, the knives last for extended periods.
In addition, they are simple to use for prolonged periods. Thanks to their ergonomic handles, which offer a pleasant grip. Moreover, Calphalon has claimed to use SharpIN technology, which includes built-in ceramic sharpeners that maintain the edge of the knives with each usage.
In a nutshell, Calphalon company is, indeed, leading the market for its quality, innovation, and excellence. However, all these features come with a hefty price tag.
Top 3 Knife Series by Calphalon: An In-depth Review!
01. Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Knives
Classic self-sharpening knives are the most popular collections of Calphalon. This set of self-sharpening knives includes the following items,
- 4.5″ Paring Knife
- 7″ Santoku Knife
- 6″ Serrated Utility Knife
- 8″ Chefs Knife
- 6″ Utility Knife
- 8” Steak knife
- Kitchen Shears
- Self-sharpening wooden knife block
Overall, knives are popular for their sturdiness and unique design. The blade is sharp-edged and made from stainless steel, which contains anti-corrosive properties. They come with a bolster and a full-tang which adds to the durability of knives. It is vital to mention that their durability depends on how you maintain them.
Moreover, some people find the bolster problematic for gripping the knife as it is slightly thick. Also, due to the long length and heavy structure of the handle, the knives can cause uneasiness to small-handed people. But there is no doubt about the performance and ergonomics of the knife.
In a nutshell, Calphalon Classic Knives can be a long-term yet reasonable investment for people who want to make a one-time investment. It is due to their high pricing structure.
02. Calphalon Precision Series Cutlery
Another most in-demand knife set by Calphalon is the Precision Series Cutlery. There’s one speculation about this set: ‘ If you ever get the opportunity to test out this line of knives, you will surely be impressed.’ The series includes the following items,
- 8” Bread knife
- 6” Utility knife
- 8 Steak knives
- 8” Chef’s knife
- 6” Santoku knife
- 5” Parer
- Kitchen shears
- Honing steel
- Hardwood knife block
The most exclusive feature of this knife set that stands out is its eye-catching and handy design. The Calphalon Precision knives have a sleek and modern look, with a black handle and a silver blade. Most importantly, the blade is sharp-edged. However, the handle is exceptionally comfortable, making them easy to manage.
Due to its extra sharp blade and manageable handle, the knife’s performance is no less than a delight for professional chefs. It cuts the tough meat as quickly as pie. Above all, the accuracy in slicing fruits or meat is the perk you can expect from these knives. At the same time, using these knives as a layman daily needs a second thought.
The extra sharp blade can cause injuries to inexperienced or casual cooks. Besides, the series comes with a durable knife block with labeled slots. Also, each slot is marked with a particular type of knife, so there is no chance of any mess on your kitchen counter.
Lastly, just like the earlier series, this series may also be a bit more expensive than other available options. However, the quality and performance make them worth investing in, especially for professional chefs.
03. Calphalon Contemporary SharpIN Cutlery
Calphalon Contemporary SharpIN Cutlery is the next series that has earned its position in the top three series of Calphalon. It is due to their high-quality, sleek design and sturdy blade. Please note that the series includes the following items,
- 8-in. Chef’s Knife
- 8-in. Bread Knife
- 7-in. Santoku Knife
- 6-in. Utility Knife
- 5.5-in. Tomato/Bagel Knife
- 5-in. Boning Knife
- 5-in. Santoku Knife
- 4.5-in. Parer
- 8 Steak Knives
- Kitchen Shears
- Self-Sharpening Wood Knife Block
The most important feature of these knives is their sturdy engineering that only uses high-carbon stainless steel and features a contemporary design. The set incorporates a SharpIN technology that helps maintain the sharpness and durability of these knives, while the ergonomic handles make them comfortable for everyone.
This series is mainly for people who want to invest in good designs and modern-day culinary items. Above all, the handle looks elegant in the beautifully designed kitchen block, complimenting your kitchen decor.
Again, their hefty price is an essential factor that may subdue other features if you buy it for regular use. The set can be an excellent investment for professional cooks or people spending more than half their day in kitchens.
Pros and Cons of Calphalon Knife Sets
Below are some of the most potential pros and cons of Calphalon Knife Sets.
Pros of Calphalon Knives
- Stylish design – Most Calphalon knives are sleek and elegant, incomparable to other knives in this price range. Their sleek design enhances the ambiance of your kitchen and looks elegant on your kitchen counter. Besides, they are designed to give improved functionality, precision, and easy-gripping.
- Precision and sharpness – The precision and sharpness of Calphalon knives are indisputable. They are just the ticket for perfect slicing, dicing, and chopping of various meals, including the toughest meats. That’s why these knives are much-loved by professional chefs who give equal importance to the presentation and taste of food.
- High-quality materials – Calphalon knives are made with high-carbon stainless steel, a durable and anti-rust material. Using superior quality material makes them durable and adds to their longevity.
- Exceptional Performance – Most notably, Calphalon knives are known for their outstanding performance and functionality. Due to their sharp-edge blade, they deliver maximum precision. Besides, their high-quality material provides excellent edge retention and resistance to corrosion.
- Brand and Value – Lastly, Calphalon knives is a trustworthy brand that provides excellent value to its customers. Most of their series come with a one year warranty which means your investment is safe.
Cons of Calphalon Knives
- Edges dull quickly – Calphalon knives are made of steel, a brittle and rigid material. Due to that, their blades are fast chippable if not handled carefully. It means that these knives demand good care and maintenance. Also, their blade is sharp-edged and extra thin, prone to dulling quickly due to regular use.
- The built-in blade doesn’t last long- Few people even reported that the blade gets damaged so easily. Even good maintenance cannot keep the blade as good as new. Their built-in blade surely needs the manufacturer’s attention as it has been seen to be prone to chipping and breaking, making it difficult to rely on for everyday use.
- No sharpening program – The most potential drawback for Calphalon knives is that they need a sharpening program. And as we discussed earlier, their blade gets dull quickly due to regular use, so users must need sharpening. However, the company provides no sharpening program. It means users will only have the option of manually sharpening, which is inconvenient and time-consuming.
- Thick bolster – Not all, but some Calphalon knives come with thick bolsters, making the knife challenging to manage. Plus, it can also limit the blade’s versatility and functionality.
- Durability –Calphalon knives are known for their sturdy structure, which adds to their life. However, as we discussed above, their blades get easily damaged, and they need a sharpening program, so we cannot help considering them less durable than other knives. Also, these knives require regular manual sharpening, which further eats their lifespan.
- Made in China – Another significant downside of Calphalon knives is their manufacturing in China. And it is no secret that manufacturing in China is mainly subject to lower quality control standards than those made in European countries.
- Imperfections and Poor quality – Lastly, not frequently but very rarely, Calphalon knives have been criticized for their poor quality and imperfections. These imperfections may include uneven sharpness, blade chipping, and handle cracking. It is vital to mention that these issues can hinder the performance and precision of the knives. Most importantly, these are not safe for the users.
Are Calphalon Knives Sharp?
Yes, Calphalon knives are widely known for their sharp-edge blades, making them the number one choice of professional chefs. The size and style of blades are mainly designed for optimal cutting performance.
However, this sharpness may subdue after frequent use daily. And the real tragedy is the company does not offer any sharpening program. But, users can sharpen their knives through manual sharpening.
Why are my Calphalon knives rusting?
It’s normal for your Calphalon knives to rust over time, especially if they are exposed to prolonged humidity and moisture. When exposed to these elements, even high-quality stainless steel blades can begin to corrode and develop rust spots.
There are a few potential reasons why your Calphalon knives may be rusting. First, it is essential to ensure that you’re keeping your Calphalon knives properly maintained by regularly cleaning them and drying them thoroughly after each use, as this helps to prevent corrosion from forming or growing on the blades. Improper storage can also lead to rust transference between knives which could result in premature rusting of all stored items.
Proper maintenance and care is essential when it comes keeping our Calphalon knives free from unwanted rust spots and ensuring they last longer over time! No matter which brand you are using for kitchen knives, it’s always important to rust off kitchen knives.
How to Care for Calphalon Knives
Below mentioned how-tos will brief you on how to care for Calphalon knives.
How to clean and store Calphalon knives
As mentioned earlier, proper cleaning and care may lead to getting blades rust. Therefore, it is essential to properly clean them before storing them in their block or any drawer. Here are some helpful tips for cleaning and adequately keeping them.
- Avoid washing them in the dishwasher.
- Wash them manually.
- Use warm water to wash them.
- Immediately dry them. You can use a soft towel to dry them.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers that can scratch the blade.
- Store them in a knife block or magnetic strip.
How do you sharpen a Calphalon self-sharpening knife?
Self-sharpening means you do not have to play a very defined role. Simply, put them in their designated slots to sharpen a Calphalon self-sharpening knife.
Please note that the block will automatically sharpen the knife every time you put them in it.
How Long Do Calphalon Knives Last?
The longevity of Calphalon knives depends upon their usage, care, and maintenance. With proper care and storage, they can even last for years. However, rough handling and improper cleaning can significantly affect their longevity and durability.
FAQs on Calphalon Knives Set
What makes Calphalon knives unique?
Calphalon knives are known for their superior quality performance, edge-cutting sharpness, and delicate precision. The trio of these features makes these knives unique and top-rated in the industry.
Are Calphalon knives worth the money?
Calphalon knives come in a range of series. Each series comes with a different price tag. Therefore, investing in these entirely depends on your budget, personal preferences, and use frequency. If you are a professional chef or chef by heart who loves cooking, investing in a more expensive Calphalon knife might be worth it. Otherwise, buying a knife with an economical price tag is a better choice.
What is the best Calphalon knife set for home cooks?
Ideally, it is recommended to refrain from investing in these knives with this price tag for home cooks. However, if you want to get one for yourself or gift any home cook, consider the Calphalon Precision Set. The set is slightly more durable and safe for home cooks.
How do you sharpen Calphalon knives?
You can manually sharpen Calphalon knives. Other than that, people often use electric knife sharpeners. Besides, most series of Calphalon knives come with a self-sharpening mechanism.
Can you put Calphalon knives in the dishwasher?
Ideally, putting Caphalon knives in the dishwasher is unsafe as it can damage the blade. The manual wash with warm water followed by immediate drying is recommended.
What angle is Calphalon Katana series?
The Calphalon Katana Series generally comes with a Japanese blade with a 15-degree angle. Also, these blades have a curved belly and a pointed tip for quick and precise cutting.
Final Verdict: Are Calphalon knives Good?
Calphalon knives are a great investment for those looking for superior-quality kitchen knives. The article has already featured a detailed review of Calphalon knives, particularly highlighting three sets. The review also includes the possible downsides that come with Calphalon knives.
Overall, I would like to end this debate about whether Calphalon knives are good with the idea that they are good, but their price tag is also a considerable factor. So, these knives can be a good investment for professional chefs. Otherwise, their hefty price makes them slightly unaffordable for regular use.